Friday, January 24, 2014

Double exposing: walls and others

I sometimes like to make arbitrary rules and limitations with art projects. Although I often like arts, crafts and photography because of the freedom and creativity that they allow for, at the same time I understand that rules can help enhance creativity. Limitations force you to come up with new solutions instead of always seeking out the first thing that comes to mind or using only the "correct" solution. Sometimes this comes in the form of "I'm going to finish this project with things I already have on hand". Other days it's even a finer limitation of using only a subset of tools or techniques to achieve something. Other times, it means making up a new set of rules along the way. Of course, this idea isn't completely new - there's a whole list of surrealist techniques that pretty much are their own, unique sets of rules/guidelines that help bring about new and different result.

Anyway, last weekend I was walking around near my home doing errands, when I decided to shoot some photos with my Diana camera. I noticed a window that was interesting and at that point decided I would do a series of double exposures, with windows/walls consisting at least one of the exposures.  I also kinda forgot I had the 16 exposure mask on in the camera, which meant I accidentally cut some edges off that I thought would be there. Ooops. Regardless, this is my resulting set. I decided to post all of them vs. picking through. I sometimes feel like I'm kinda living on the edge by only taking single exposures with my film cameras (For the love of God, bracket!!!!!!), but at the same time, unless you shoot the film completely one time and then reload the film and shoot it again, it would be difficult for double exposures to be "bracketed". So, yup, that's what you get. I really like some of them, some were a little "eh". I do think some would have been better with a 3rd exposure. So, I think I might try the surrealist "triptography" technique at some point. I also think, based on the last photo, it might be fun to do a series where the same photo was shot as a double, triple or quadruple exposure with only camera rotations each time.

















1 comment: