Sunday, January 8, 2012

Vegan, Raw taco filling

I recently finally came into possession a VitaMix... one of those things I've been looking at for years, but couldn't quite justify. Now that I have it, I'm eager to try out all sorts of things, like this raw, vegan taco "meat" filling.

Inspired by these two recipes (http://www.loveveggiesandyoga.com/2010/05/raw-vegan-taco-nut-meat-raw-vegan-taco.html
and
http://therawtarian.com/raw-taco-meat-recipe/ ) and the raw tacos at Sun Cafe, this is what I pulled together. I've had it as a wrap with lavish bread, lettuce and salsa, as lettuce tacos with tomatoes, salsa, green onion and avocado and also just on something like crackers. It's super tasty and flexible and the leftovers can easily be stored in the fridge and eaten at a later time.

Vegan Raw Taco Filling

-1 cup of nuts (I've use 50% almond/50% walnut and 50% sprouted sunflower seeds/25% walnut/25% almond. both were pretty good. use what you have/like)
-~10 sun dried tomato halves (mine we dried/not in oil from Whole Foods. Super good and a decent price and no sulfer dioxide, which tastes gross to me) soaked in a little bowl of warm water, enough to cover, for at least 30 min
-splash of olive oil
-soy sauce, to taste (not necessary, but adds a nice flavor component)
-desired spices. I used: cumin, dried garlic, ancho chile powder, cayenne and oregano
-salt and pepper to taste

Soak the tomatoes for at least 30 min. I also add in the oil, soy sauce and spices, but these can be added later on. Once the tomatoes are soft, add the nuts (and other stuff if you didn't add it earlier). Grind in blender or food processor with tomato soaking water until blended and at desired consistency. Some chunks are ok in this. Add extra water or oil if needed. Adjust seasoning to taste.

Serve in tacos, wraps, veggies, etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment