Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Veggie filled savory crepe

One day I decided I wanted to make green onion pancakes, but didn't want to wait a while for the dough to set as it probably should... I needed something faster. So using the basic savory crepe recipe from here and stuff I had in my kitchen, this is what I ended up with.

I also wanted to make the crepes into a more substantial meal, so I added sauteed veggies. What's included is what I had on hand and used. You can easily substitute some or all of the veggies. If you haven't had delicata squash, I definitely recommend it! It's harder like a winter squash and stays good for a while, but you can eat the skin, they are smaller than many other squashes and it cooks fairly quickly. You could easily substitute butternut squash or sweet potato for it.


Savory Green Onion Crepe with Sauteed Veggies (~ 3 servings)



filling
vegetable oil
1 portabella mushrooms/ handfull of mushrooms
1-2 delicata squash
1/2 onion
light flavored cheese (I used a tasty soft cheddar cheese with chives and green onions from Trader Joe's)

pancakes
1 cup whole wheat flour
1/4 tsp salt
~1 1/2 cup water
1 egg
vegetable oil
2-3 green onions, whole, and cut into small pieces

Put a small amount of oil in a pan. Wash and thinly slice mushrooms. Wash, deseed and cut the delicata squash into small moons and cut onions into moons. Put all veggies into the pan and cook until all items are soft and light golden in color.

 When the vegetables are getting close to being done, mix all pancake ingredients and cook in a warmed frying pan coated with a light layer of oil. These don't need to cook very long - just enough to get a tiny bit of color on each side.

Fill crepes with the vegetable filling and add a little bit of cheese if desired. Super delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment