Tuesday, June 16, 2015

Downtown LA Saturday Afternoon

This past weekend I made a trip to the far east to visit a friend that I haven't seen for a few months after a new baby was born. Getting there was part train and part walking and park carpooling and required an early departure. As it turns out, when you go out early on Saturday morning, sometimes you see people running around the park in giant inflated balls.

The visit was enjoyable and made me a little sad I don't live closer, but I'm glad we were able to make it out. Joy!



On my way home on the Gold Line train, I decided to get off at the Little Tokyo/Art District stop to wander as much as possible during my 2 hour free Metro transfer window. I first wandered over to the arts district to look at the randomness in the streets. I must admit that I love wandering in this type of place because it seems like there are surprises everyplace if you're willing to pay attention.












 From far away, this just appeared to be a pole wrapped in tires. Only once I got closer did I notice the comical, exaggerated featured faces sculpted from the tires and other bits!










 I feel like in the last 6-12 months I've seen these types of little free book libraries all over the place!



























So part of the reason I wanted to get off at the Little Tokyo station was to visit the Daiso in the area. I found the store and saw some things I wanted to pick up, but the line was crazy long and in the end, I wasn't really in a line-standing mood. I might after work one day while it's still summer/light in the evening.




Then from Daiso, I walked through Skid Row to get to the Toy District. The street I was on wasn't bad, but all the parallel streets were filled with tents even during the day. The street itself I was on had an amazing number of shops similar to that above with smoking type accessories.




Do you have these where you live? People place mannequins (sometimes mechanical ones that move their arms) outside of their shops holding advertisement signs.













 Painting the street to look more like a plaza as part of the road diet that happened on Broadway in Downtown LA.



No comments:

Post a Comment