Thursday, October 30, 2014

San Francisco 10/14... OK

This past weekend we drove up to San Francisco for a long weekend. My sister was visiting and so we decided to meet up with her for a couple days and crash her vacation. We also stayed with a long time friend, which was good since I don't get to see him much anymore. Yay!  We ended up going to Alcatraz one day, which was awesome (pretty much no one I talked to had been before!) and included art from Ai Weiwei scattered throughout the buildings. Although visiting a jail is kinda weird on some level, the views, the experience, the decay of the buildings and the resulting textures and colors and the nature all really add to the experience. Buy tickets in advance and go! Then the next day we drove up to Muir Woods to see the giant Redwoods. Yay for trees and more nature and green and nice smells and old living things! Then we came home and now I am back at work. I think this started out as a quick post & a couple photos and grew to 11, although I will hopefully post more later.

I took I think 6 cameras along, which included 2 medium formats - my yashica mat and diana, so I still have film to develop. Random people around me were super fascinated by the yashica mat and I heard comments from people from time to time. Film is so novel to people now.....












 This was part of the Ai Weiwei exhibit in a bathtub of the hospital in the jail. These kinds of textures and colors make my mind go crazy, I love them so much. If I was visiting alone, I would have been so lost in all the peeling lead paint flakes, rusting, decaying, breaking, textures and colors all over for hours...






I found it interested that the windows that weren't barred still projected the same sort of shadows as the jail bars...










 Nothing like the tallest living things in the world to make you feel tiny and insignificant


Stopped in Sausalito before heading back over the Golden Gate bridge...








No comments:

Post a Comment