Thursday, September 5, 2013

Burning Man 2013 - Holga 1

Over the past month or so, my posts have been fairly absent, partially due to a lot of socialization, Burning Man prep and Burning Man itself. Now that Burning Man is over, there's so much to catch up on! I completed a few different sewing and other crafty projects in preparation. I also experimented with some new recipes that all turned out well on the playa. In addition, I have all sorts of photos from times with friends and family. I'll be playing catch-up for a while....

This year I decided to pick up a Holga Camera just for Burning Man so I could take some medium format photos and get some film photos. Luckily I can find fairly discounted Holga's at the Freestyle photo store in Hollywood, so I could mentally treat it as disposable and not worry about it too much. The "Sunset Blvd." color decorated with some glow in the dark paint produced a camera that seemed at home at Burning Man and in great contrast with the black and white film I loaded in it all week. Dust quickly accumulated inside and after shooting a couple rolls, the foam padding near the film reels started popping off, but it still seems to be functioning. I'll need to give it a good cleaning once I finish with the roll inside. Although I've found proof online of people taking Holgas to Burning Man in the past, I only spotted a couple of film cameras myself this year including a woman with a 35mm camera from Japan and a guy with what looked like a TLR medium format of some sort.

This is the first of a few rolls I was able to develop yesterday!


Click for larger versions!!!!

Temple of Whollyness















miscellaneous art on the playa....








2 comments:

  1. Beautiful,Mel! Can't wait to go next year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those pictures are so beautiful! When you described them I didn't really envision that they would be so intricate. Love the UFO!

    ReplyDelete